Pekalongan is the city near Semarang, two hours by bus or one half hour by train to the west side. This project site consists of 2 different project areas with 2 different characters.
- Pasirsari: The children in Pasirsari are interested in additional education after school. Volunteering activity can use a public learning center house in Pasirsari.
- Bugisan: The children in Bugisan are more interested in art, drawing, and handicraft things, and normally they love to do the activity near the street. Volunteering activity can use a public learning spot near by the area or outdoor activities.
Age ≥18 years old, strong motivation and interest in non formal learning methods for kids.
Volunteering with kids living in slum area in Pekalongan City.
Volunteers are expected to support the local volunteers to:
- Organize interesting creative activities to motivate the children to keep continue their study or go back to school;
- Organize various skill development activities;
- Give additional lesson to support children education;
- Raise awareness children’s personal hygiene like washing hand, brushing teeth, etc.
- Find possible activities together with the local volunteers
Note: 25 to 40 hours/week. Sometimes the volunteers are needed to support GREAT to do other voluntary action during the weekends.
The local culture of Pekalongan and Batik as the Pekalongan uniqueness.
To inspire and motivate the children to be more confident and active and dare to have dream.
Volunteers will stay in a sharing house with other volunteers at Pekalongan volunteer house. Fridge is available. Volunteer must take care of their own meals and cover personal expenses. Gas for cooking and water gallon are covered by donation from international volunteers and local volunteers (not covered by participation fee)
Start Date: 1st Tue/Wed every month. Except June
Duration: ≥2 months
Pekalongan, Central Java