Work Camp Dates: 15th – 24th February 2020
Work Camp Location: Satun Province, Thailand
Application Deadline: 28th January 2020
About Work Camp Exchange
Work Camp Exchange is an activity under the platform of World Exchange 2. World Exchange 2 is the second edition of World Exchange. It combines the concept of Youth Exchanges using non-formal learning with work camps in order to provide experimentation and exchange good practices among partners. In addition, the core of the project is the cooperation between European and Asian organizations and youth workers. Also to provide participants a broader point of view on intercultural exchange. Moreover, the youngsters involved in the project will gain knowledge about how to organize and manage a youth exchange from different points of view. Thus, they will have the opportunity to put it in practice by organizing a youth exchange themselves.
The Work Camp Exchange Thailand: Nature, Food and Community: Together for Better Future
The Work Camp Exchange Thailand: Nature, Food and Community: Together for Better Future will involve volunteers from Italy, Portugal, France, Estonia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Hong Kong. Additionally, the participants must come from the nationalities above and apply from one of the 8 sending organizations: Associazione di Promozione Sociale KORA – Italy, IDC – France, Quinta das Relvas – Portugal, Seiklejate Vennaskond – Estonia, CYA – Cambodia, G.R.E.A.T. – Indonesia, DaLaa – Thailand, and NVDA – Pacific Asia Network. GREAT Indonesia will send 4 volunteers to participate in this event.
Volunteers will stay at Kok Payom, a small Muslim-majority village in Langú district, Satun, South of Thailand, with approx. 600 inhabitants. People in the village mainly rely on fishing and agriculture – rice, rubber, palm, fruits, vegetables, spices – as for their daily living and main source of income. There is 1 mosque, a religious school (Tadika), 1 public primary school (kindergarten and grades 1-6), a few small shops and community spaces in the village.
2 NGOs established by local people are active in the village, one with the main focus on mangrove and environmental conservation and the other, Klong Toh Lem Academy Foundation focusing on community development and lifelong, non-formal learning. They cooperate closely in community development and the hosting of volunteers. There is also a “forest school” location on an island in the mangroves for environmental education purposes. Sustainability is the main challenge of the village, similarly to so many coastal villages in rural areas of South-East Asia.
1. To provide a space for participants to learn about nature conservation at the local scale of the community by participating in the mangrove seeding activities.
2. To create the learning workshop and raise awareness about food security, the use of ecological products and materials in food processing and packaging.
3. To engage international participants in the daily life of the local community.
Venue and Time
Duration: 10 days
Venue: Satun, Thailand
Dates: 15th – 24th February 2020
1. Planting mangrove trees to replace the dead mangroves in the mangrove’s nursery of the community (Klong Toh Lem Academy).
2. Participate in the workshop of making and packing the local food with the eco-friendly materials.
3. Create and organize creative activities with the children in the community.
4. Organize a dissemination event about the learning outcome of the participants in the workcamp exchange.
5. Discussion and presentation on the topic ‘Bring Nature, Food, and Community back together’ (to be prepared in national groups prior to departure).
6. Intercultural evening.
7. Raising intercultural awareness through games, team building activities, energizers, etc.
8. Explore the local life of the community in Kok Payom.
9. Reflection sessions.
1. GREAT Member (if you are not GREAT member, you can register yourself as a member here).
2. Age 18 -30
3. Have passport, valid until 31st of August 2020 or later
4. Active participation in all the activities of the work camp Exchange
5. Able to work in a team and share private spaces
6. Have an interest in the topic and motivation to work in rural area and nature
7. Being able to adapt to a different culture and environment
8. Basic English knowledge
9. Commitment to writing an article/post after the project
10. Commitment to do the assignment plan, from during-post project
The project is funded by the Erasmus+ Programme. Thus all expenses for accommodation, food, local transport during and for the project in Thailand and international travel costs are fully covered.
The program does NOT cover:
1. Passport fee
2. Personal medication
3. Personal expenses
4. Guarantee fee (GREAT will refund this to volunteers after they complete the project in Thailand, submit a report and finish all assignments on time)
5. Organizational support fee (for GREAT to support non-funded activities which are not related to any Erasmus+ program; e.g organizational events, international networking, and promotional tools development)
Terms and Conditions:
1. Selected candidates must pay:
• Guarantee fee IDR 2.000.000 to GREAT
• Organizational Support fee IDR 1.000.000 to GREAT
2. The deadline for payment of Guarantee Fee is 4th of February 2020 and the Organizational Support Fee is 8th February 2020.
3. Selected candidates are ready to do pre, during and post assignments of the project that supports GREAT activities.
4. Selected candidates agree to sign a legal agreement with GREAT carrying pre-during-post assignment of the project.
5. Fully attend the Pre Departure Training series with GREAT including 1-day physical meeting training in Salatiga (date to be confirmed).
6. Official Erasmus+ Youthpass Certificate will be given at the end of the project
The Assignments (related to point 4 above):
⇒ Pre-project (choose two or more assignments in addition to the obligatory):
√ Support the promotional activities online with GREAT Staff
√ Support poster making of GREAT Activities promotion with GREAT Staff
√ Be active in local volunteering activities in their closest GO Cities for 2 weeks from 4th-15th February 2020. Check out the GO Cities here
⇒ During the project (all obligatory):
√ Send pictures and videos of their departure and during projects regularly to the GREAT staff
√ Post, tag and mention GREAT social media when posting documentation related to this project
√ Communicate regularly with GREAT staff during the project
⇒ Post project (obligatory and optional):
√ Submit a report of participation at the latest 3 days after project
√ Join GREAT Basic Training as participants for those who never joined yet. Next Basic Training is March 2020
√ Join one international or bilateral work camp as a participant between February – May 2020
Optional (choose at least 3 assignments in addition to the obligatory):
√ Join one international or bilateral work camp as a participant between April -June 2020
√ Join one international or bilateral work camp as camp leader between April -July 2020, including must join Training for Camp Leader in April 2020
√ Support the promotional activities offline with GREAT staffs January – May 2020
√ Support the promotional activities online with GREAT staffs January – May 2020
√ Be active in at least 5 months in a row of local volunteering activities in their closest GO Cities in Indonesia between January – June 2020.
|Now – 28th of January at 09.00 AM WIB/GMT+7||
|29th of January 2019||Interview selection announcement.
GREAT will contact only the shortlisted candidate for an interview.
|30th of January 2019||Interview sessions|
|31st of January 2019||Announcement of Successful Candidates|
|4th of February 2020
9th of February 2020
|Deadline for Payment of Guarantee Fee
Deadline for Organizational Support Fee.
Ms. Metta Dian (PR Manager of GREAT)
Email: [email protected]
WhatsApp: 081390803873 (text only)