Project Duration: July 4th – September 25th 2019
Project Location: Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia
Deadline: Friday, 5th of April 2019Extended Deadline: Wednesday, 10th of April 2019
Background of Stop Climate Change Project
Situation of climate change has been so far recognized as one of the most crucial global problems. Many people and organizations have been working hard to overcome the situation. However, the global carbon emission keeps increasing (21 billion tons in 1990 to 29 billion in 2009 while our planet can absorb only 10 billion in its nature).
Moreover, the damage is getting more and more serious on landscape, forests and its biodiversity, food production and water supply, human security and the list goes on. Although the recent COP21 has agreed on global goals, we need much further efforts and collaboration among countries, stakeholders, organizations and people to prevent increase of global temperature within 1.5-2 degrees. Additionally, innovative, epoch‐making actions and cooperation need to be created and developed to have breakthrough to protect our beautiful planet for the future generations, one of which can be international voluntary service.
About Stop Climate Change Project
IVS (International Voluntary Service) has been creating unique and valuable impact to prevent climate change. Not only by the work to plant and grow trees and other carbon reducing actions. Also by spreading collective and simple low carbon lifestyles, networking people and organizations, raising awareness among local people and world youth as well as promoting further actions.
Besides, in 2008, NICE with NVDA and CCIVS created a global common action called “World Tanabata Action”. First of all, volunteers plant trees or do other carbon reducing actions. Next, they study/discuss on the climate change issue. Lastly, volunteers write “my action” one a piece of paper. Later, it all was globally collected and exhibited at different places such as the G8 Summit, UNESCO Head Quarters,etc. In addition, it has been widely spread and 21,427 participants have planted 822,831 trees. The event was organized by 27 NGOs in 21 countries.
Stop Climate Change Project in Indonesia
Since 2015, IVS volunteers executed globally the Global Voluntary Service to Stop Climate Change (SCC) that makes it one of unique movements. The networks Alliance, CCIVS and NVDA started a common campaign “IVS against climate change”. GREAT took part on the SCC program since 2016, when we did youth volunteer exchange between Indonesian and Cambodian in the SCC platform.
Now, in 2019 there will be four countries carrying out the SCC programs. The four countries are GREAT Indonesia, CYA Cambodia, RUCHI India and NICE Japan. We will continue SCC project with our best practices and more improvement in support for our existing project in Pekalongan, Central Java.
Aims of Stop Climate Change Project
⇒ Increase impact to reduce carbon emission.
⇒ Empower management of international voluntary service NGOs.
⇒ Strengthen multi-sectional partnership.
⇒ Conduct carbon offset/ Networking meetings.
⇒ Send/Host special short/long/middle term volunteers.
Project Base and Duration:
Project Base: Pekalongan Coastal Area
Duration: 4th Jul – 25th September 2019
How does it work
Volunteers are required to participate in each phases of the project, they are:
⇒ Phase 1: Preparation Seminar (May 10-May 15, Japan).
First of all, in the preparation seminar the local leader will meet other local leaders and community leaders from each partner NGOs. In addition, s/he will also share good practices and challenges and do networking with various stakeholders. Also, to prepare crowd funding plan for the program.
⇒ Phase 2: Project implementation (July 4-September 25, Indonesia).
Next, the local leader will implement the SCC plan. From organizing work camps in Pekalongan, conduct carbon offset by mangrove reforestation, run crowd funding and common actions. Furthermore, to conduct activities with SCC long term volunteers, and make documentation to introduce situation and activities of the hosting projects.
⇒ Phase 1: Final Evaluation Meeting (November, Malaysia: to be confirmed).
Eventually, by the end of the project all local leaders, community leaders from each partner NGOs will reunite to evaluate the project, modify tools based on the evaluation, continue the networking, and make future planning.
1. GREAT Member active and from GREAT of Pekalongan is preferable.
2. Active GREAT camp leader.
3. Ever led at least 1 GREAT work camp.
4. Available and committed to lead the SCC long work camp starts from 4th July – 25th September 2019 in Pekalongan Mangrove for Java Project.
5. Holding active Indonesian passport, with expiry date on December 2019 or later.
6. Committed to represent GREAT in all phases of SCC program.
7. Fluent in spoken and written English is a must.
8. Interested in climate change and environmental issue.
9. Willing to learn Carbon Offset and Crowd Funding.
How to Apply
1. Download this form here.
2. Fill out the form you downloaded.
3. Send the form by email to [email protected], with subject email: SCC2019App_your_full_name_here.
Example: SCC2019App_Dinesh Sungkar
4. Application deadline is 10th April 2019, at the latest 12.00 PM (West Indonesian Time Zone/GMT+7).
GREAT will only call shortlisted candidate for further interview, by email with the schedule for interview.
Term of Conditions
1. SCC Preparation Seminar and project/local partner summit will use English in the entire event.
2. No Participant Fee.
3. Meals and accommodation are covered during SCC Preparation Seminar.
4. Committed to accomplish the Carbon Offset project and Crowd Funding together with Pekalongan Area Manager within the project duration.
4. Organizational support fee IDR 1.000.000 must be paid to GREAT before your departure to Japan.
5. Guarantee fee IDR 1.000.000. It will be given back to you after you complete the project and submit report to GREAT.
6. Fully attend the Pre Departure Training in GREAT Office, Semarang (date to be confirmed).
7. Able to pay the flight fare to Japan in advance, NICE will give the 80% reimbursement within the SCC Preparation Seminar.
What SCC project covers
1. 80% of total return flight ticket Indonesia-Japan-Indonesia (as organizer, NICE Japan will reimburse the tickets)
2. Meals, accommodation and local transport during the program.
3. Project materials.
4. Meals and accommodation during Pre Departure Training.
What SCC project doesn’t cover
1. Personal medication
2. Passport fee & Visa Fee
3. Local transport from Narita/Haneda Airport to the Meeting Point (NICE Office)
4. Local transport from your hometown to Semarang or Jakarta (the departure will be from Semarang/Jakarta Airport)
5. Personal expenses during your journey and project duration
6. Local transport for Pre Departure Training
Area Manager of Pekalongan
Email : [email protected]
WA : +62 815 7879 4443